New York Rangers Rumors: Ulf Samuelsson To Join Alain Vigneault Behind The Bench?

Christian Petersen

Ulf Samuelsson seems poised to become one of the Rangers assistant coaches.

According to a report in the New York Daily News, Ulf Samuelsson is one of the top candidates for one of the assistant positions on Alain Vigneault's staff. Samuelsson (who was reportedly interested in the head coaching position) was a defenseman for the New York Rangers during his playing career.

From the story:

Former Rangers defenseman Ulf Samuelsson, 49, is a leading candidate to be hired as one of Vigneault's assistants. Samuelsson has been the head coach of Modo in the Swedish Elite League since May 2011. But on Monday night, the Modo website listed Anders Forsberg as its head coach, one day after a report that Samuelsson had expressed interest in a Rangers assistant job. Samuelsson already was an NHL assistant from 2006 through 2011 for the Phoenix Coyotes.

The report also claims that goaltending coach Benoit Allaire was retained and Mike Sullivan was officially let go. Neither of those two decisions come as a surprise.

Pat Leonard also reports that Newell Brown -- who worked with Vigneault the past three years -- is another candidate for an assistant position.

Thoughts?