New York Rangers News: Alain Vigneault To Be Officially Introduced on Friday

Anne-Marie Sorvin-US PRESSWIRE

Alain Vigneault will officially be introduced as the new head coach of the New York Rangers on Friday morning. The press conference will take place at Radio City Music Hall.

As per a report from Andrew Gross, the New York Rangers will officially announce Alain Vigneault as the new head coach on Friday afternoon. Due to ongoing renovations at Madison Square Garden, the press conference will take place at Radio City Music Hall. Vigneault was officially signed to a 5-year contract back on June 15, according to Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News.

The contract will pay Vigneault $2 million per year, which is about $200,000 more than he received with the Vancouver Canucks. This is the first official confirmation that we have seen from the New York Rangers, as they have kept Vigneault's hiring on the down low for quite some time.

Glen Sather also spoke with the Pat Leonard at the General Manager meeting in Boston, and shed some light on what led to the firing on John Tortorella. The biggest issue was the lack of puck possession in the offensive zone, and low-scoring offensive production with the amount of talent on the roster.