New York Rangers News: Canucks Receive Permission To Speak With Mike Sullivan

Doug Pensinger

Mike Sullivan could soon be on his way to Vancouver, as the Canucks have received permission to speak with him.

Just hours after John Tortorella was officially introduced as the new head coach of the Vancouver Canucks, Mike Sullivan could soon be on his way as well. According to John Shannon of Sportsnet, the Canucks have sought after, and received permission from the New York Rangers to speak with assistant coach Mike Sullivan.

Even though Mike Sullivan was still employed by the Rangers after John Tortorella was relieved of his coaching duties, the writing has been on the wall for him ever since. He's always been Tortorella's right hand man, as they came over together from the Tampa Bay Lightning in 2009 to coach the Rangers. So, it's not surprising to see that Tortorella will most likely bring his long-time assistant to Vancouver along with him.

A lot of Sullivan's success during his time with the Rangers was quickly overshadowed by the Rangers anemic power play over the last several seasons. While the latter may be true, people often forget that he was the driving force behind the Rangers strong defensive zone coverage.

But with all of that said, Mike Sullivan will likely be on his way to Vancouver, which will leave yet another assistant spot open for Alain Vigneault and the New York Rangers to fill. We have yet to hear any news regarding the new assistant coaches as of yet, but, it has been noted that there will likely be two of them coming in the near future.

Until then, stay tuned. Thoughts?