New York Rangers News: Contract Talks Between Rangers And Lundqvist Will Start Tonight

Bruce Bennett

The New York Rangers and representatives of Henrik Lundqvist are expected to commence contract talks later on tonight.

After reports surfaced last night about the New York Rangers preparing to sit down with Henrik Lundqvist about a contract extension, it appears as if that will start happening later on this evening. According to Bob McKenzie of TSN, representatives from Henrik Lundqvist, and the New York Rangers will commence their contract negotiations tonight in New York City.

As we pointed out last night, although Henrik Lundqvist cannot officially sign off on the deal until later on in July, both sides can come to a "hand shake" agreement prior to that. The Rangers will likely hand out a maximum, eight-year, contract to their franchise goaltender, which would essentially keep him on Broadway for the rest of his career.

While the Rangers have a ton of tasks on their check list this summer, their number one priority will be locking up Henrik Lundqvist on a long-term contract. The Rangers cannot afford to have these negotiations go sour, as Henrik Lundqvist has a played an important role in putting the New York Rangers back on the map. I highly doubt that would happen, but you just never know.

We will continue to update this as we hear it. But for now, thoughts?