New York Rangers News: Rangers Acquire Justin Falk

Jonathan Daniel

Rangers make the first trade of the day, acquiring Justin Falk.

The New York Rangers have traded Benn Ferriero and a 2014 6th round pick for Minnesota Wild Defenseman Justin Falk. Falk is 24 years old, was a 4th round pick in 2007 and played in 30 games regular season games last year along with four playoff games.

Falk is a bigger defenseman and will add some toughness to the blue line. Not sure what role he might play for the Rangers this year, but him being on the bottom pairing or as the 7th defenseman seems to make some sense right now. Then again, if Marc Staal is 100% healthy or if the Rangers make a move and part with a defenseman he might see a bigger role.

Ferriero didn't have much of a role at all last year and wasn't even talked about in terms of making next year's roster. The 2014 6th round pick is also relatively inconsequential.

I don't know why (and I'm not trying to start anything here) but I do feel like something is brewing for Glen Sather. I have a feeling this isn't the last move we're going to see.

Thoughts?