New York Rangers Breaking News: Ulf Samuelsson Named Assistant Coach

Christian Petersen

The New York Rangers have named Ulf Samuelsson.

According to Swedish news site Expressen, former New York Rangers defenseman Ulf Samuelsson is to join the Blueshirts bench as an assistant coach to Alain Vigneault.

Samuelsson has spent the past two seasons coaching Swedish Hockey League side Modo, an experience he feels will help him in New York.

"I had an incredible period in Modo. We worked a lot on puck control and that is something the Rangers wish to get better at. So that is one of the things I will take with me."

Samuelsson says he will be responsible for the Rangers defense and PK units, and that his role with the club will start in earnest come August.

"We have a development camp next week for the young talents that have been drafted in recent years, then I will have a few weeks off before moving to New York in August."

Samuelsson refers to Vigneault as "strong and sympathetic", revealing that he has met with the Rangers head coach on a number of occasions in recent weeks.

"It will be great. I played four seasons at the club so it feels a bit like coming home."