2013 NHL Draft: New York Rangers Select Ryan Graves 110th Overall

Bruce Bennett

The Rangers select defenseman Ryan Graves.

The New York Rangers addressed their defensive pipeline at 110 overall taking hulking defenseman Ryan Graves. Here's a little profile from The Vanguard:

Asked on Saturday evening if he feels he has stepped up his game over the past two years playing in the QMJHL, Graves said he feels he has. He says he's worked hard both on and off the ice, noting he had put a lot of work in his off-ice conditioning in addition to his play on the ice.

Asked if he has any advice to offer to other hockey players from Yarmouth who hope one day to find themselves following in his shoes - or his skates - Graves said you just need to be prepared to work hard both at and away from the rink, and you also have to be open to opportunities to play elsewhere as well.

During his 2012-2013 regular season with the PEI Rocket, Graves posted 16 points with three goals and 13 assists in 68 games. The previous season he had nine points in the regular season with two goals and seven assists in 62 games.

Looks like the Rangers went after a big, tough stay at home defenseman here. That's not a bad thing, since it's something they need, but it might not bode well for what they think of Dylan McIlrath. That might just be me spitballing here, since the Rangers have always loved big defenseman, but it's worth keeping an eye on.

Thoughts?