New York Rangers Free Agency: Should Mark Streit Get A Look From The Rangers?

Al Bello

Mark Streit won't be returning to the New York Islanders next season, and will be testing the free agent market. Should the Rangers give him a look?

Reports surfaced earlier this afternoon that the New York Islanders and Mark Streit are expected to part ways as soon as July 5th rolls around. Streit reportedly turned down a three year deal that would pay him $4.75 million per season, and is seeking contract demands that could be upwards of $5.5 million. With the Islanders and Streit far apart on contract talks, he has openly expressed his interest in testing the free agent market.

How does all of this affect the Rangers? Well, for one, the Rangers have been seeking a true power play quarterback for the last several seasons, and have come up empty. While Streit isn't getting any younger, he could provide the Rangers with a boost on the power play. Streit still possesses a big shot from the point, which is something the Rangers have been missing. Of course, this isn't a type of move that will solve all of the power play issues, but it definitely wouldn't hurt.

The Islanders operated at 19.9% this season on the power play, and Streit was the man running everything on the back end. Streit's contract demands aren't necessarily something that entice the Rangers at the moment, especially with some key RFA's still needing new contracts. But, with Brad Richards' buyout looming in the distance, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Rangers kicked the tires on the upcoming UFA.

Thoughts?