New York Rangers Head Coach: Latest News Surrounding Rangers Coaching Vacancy

USA TODAY Sports

Here is some of the latest information surrounding the New York Rangers search for a new head coach.

With John Tortorella being fired only nine days ago, the New York Rangers are still on a search to fill their head coaching vacancy. Up until this point in the process, the Rangers have yet to schedule any formal interviews with the likes of Alain Vigneault, Dallas Eakins, Lindy Ruff, or even Mark Messier. The Rangers head coaching job is one of the most coveted roles in the National Hockey League, which means the rumors have been swirling in full force since the position became available.

There was some more information churning around the internet this afternoon as Larry Brooks of the NY Post speculated on Alain Vigneault and Lindy Ruff. Brooks believes that Vigneault will have the inside track over the rest to become the next head coach of the Rangers. The Rangers are looking for someone who will maximize the amount of talent on the roster, rather than someone who would be learning the role as they go.

He also stated that the Rangers are expected to request permission to speak with Lindy Ruff at some point in the future. While Ruff has been linked the Rangers for quite some time, there is belief that the Rangers are likely just doing their due diligence with him.

Thoughts?