New York Rangers News: Rangers Acquire Danny Syvret From The Flyers

Rick Stewart

The New York Rangers have made a minor league deal sending Kris Newbury to the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for Danny Syvret.

According to Anthony SanFilippo, the New York Rangers have traded Kris Newbury to the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for defenseman Danny Syvret. Syvret was an alternate captain with the Adirondack Phantoms last year, where he appeared in 76 games with the club, and put up six goals and 34 assists during that time.

This move is nothing more than a minor league deal, but it shows that the Rangers are committed to gaining some extra depth on the back end. In addition to acquiring Justin Falk prior to the NHL Draft on Sunday, Syvret will give the Rangers some extra cushioning in the event of some injuries at the NHL level. But for now, he will likely start his time in the organization with the Connecticut Whale.

Our buddies over at Broad Street Hockey provided a little insight on what type of player Syvret has been for the Flyers, and what his projections are.

Syvret is a fringe NHL defenseman and a top-pairing AHL guy. He's never had a chance in Philadelphia aside from a game here or there, and there are many guys ahead of him on the depth chart. Now in the Rangers organization, hopefully he gets more of a chance to crack the NHL.

Thoughts?