Carl Hagelin's Contract Two Years, $2.25-Million Per Year

Bruce Bennett

The details of Hagelin's contract have been announced.

Carl Hagelin has agreed to a new contract and it's for two years at $2.25-million a year. That's just about where people expected him to come in, although it appears most fans expected Hagelin to make $2-million even.

The money seems to be fair for Hagelin, but it makes things very tight for the Rangers moving forward. Without any moves the team now has about $6.1 million left for Derek Stepan, Mats Zuccarello and Justin Falk. Also factor in Danny Kristo's $1.3-million cap hit if he makes the team.

That's not a ton of money, especially when you factor in Stepan's expected salary of between $3-$4-million per year depending on the length of the contract. We speculated this morning about whether or not the Rangers could afford to keep Zuccarello around, that concern is becoming more and more of a possibility.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if Glen Sather has a move up his sleeve to free up some cap space or if he can get Stepan and Zuccarello to take smaller contracts. My guess is there might be a little of both.

Anyway, thoughts on this guys?