FanPost

Being a Rangers fan: The Most Important Thing in the World

My name is Brian Jennings, and as of yesterday I am now a member of the Blueshirt Banter community. When considering an article to commence my "career", I must admit I found choosing a topic increasingly difficult. After 48 listless regular season games and a playoff stay that was far too short to meet the lofty albeit valid expectations of a Cup-thirsty fanbase, the Rangers plunged into the 2013 offseason in need of a new coach, a new philosophy and most of all a new energy. John Tortorella's days of berating locker rooms and mutilating the confidence of young talent are over, well, in New York that is. And due to the cap restrictions of the front office, new head coach Alain Vigneault will have to serve as Gotham's annual white knight for 2013, here's hoping his impact more closely resembles Rick Nash than say Wade Redden. However, when looking for a topic to choose as my introduction to the blog circuit, I didn't find anything of value in another article on how this team will change under their new leadership, or how Benoit Pouliot and Dominic Moore make the Rangers a deeper team. Therefore, I took it upon myself to introduce myself by describing what being a Rangers fan means to me. True blue hockey fans are hard to come by, but they are some if not the most dedicated and loyal of all sports fans. And few fanbases are more dedicated than that of the New York Rangers. We are a loud-mouthed, rag-tag, melting pot spanning all reaches of the country, social classes, gender and age, united in a beautifully irrational and all-too-necessary love for a franchise that has only tasted glory one time in going on 74 years. We are an overly-dramatic, passionate to a fault, and a brutally and unfairly pessimistic people, yet we are also raised to be eternally hopeful, for one cannot walk in the halls or dark tunnels of The World's Most Famous Arena without hearing both a faint chorus of boos and a slightly less faint and far more moving chant of "We Believe". This immortal balance between unparalleled bliss and knowing that ultimate devastation is almost definitely lurking around the corner has defined generations of fans, and will continue as such for generations to come, it is the beautiful paranoia of a Blueshirt. If there's one thing all Rangers fans know, it's that the season will end in a sea of tears and a continuous flow of alcohol, the gut-wrenching suspense lies in not knowing whether this occasion will be a celebration or a wake to commiserate the death of another season's hopes and dreams. No Rangers fan willingly signs up for this painful life-sentence, but there is not a single Rangers fan who wouldn't take the oath a thousand times over, because we know that personal relationships will come and go, but the Rangers are forever, and that wherever we go, whatever we do, we will always be Rangers. Thanks for reading and remember, Ya Just Gotta Believe.