Marc Staal Injury: Staal Appears Healthy Heading Into Training Camp

Bruce Bennett

We haven't heard any sort of update regarding Marc Staal since he returned during Game 3 of the 2013 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals, but today, it appears as if Staal is healthy and preparing for training camp.

Sometimes during the slow days of summer, unexpected news seeps through the cracks as there isn't any superior news covering it up. One of those, being an apparent update on Marc Staal's condition for next season, and how he is training during the summer. In an interview with Blueshirts United, Staal told Jim Cerny that this summer is a little different in regards to him being "completely healthy" and preparing for training camp, which is just about six weeks away.

Marc Staal went down with a vicious eye injury back on March 5th, where he was struck with a puck above the right eyebrow and was out for the remainder of the regular season. Staal had finally returned during Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals against the Washington Capitals, which would be his last game of the season. Staal was still suffering from blurred vision at the time, and didn't believe that he was at a comfortable level to keep competing at his highest potential.

Also among this update was Staal's thoughts of being invited to Team Canada's orientation camp for the 2014 Winter Olympics. Staal was among 47 players invited to the camp, which will quickly be cut down to 25 players when February rolls around.

"I was real excited when I got that call because to be one of the name’s on that list is a pretty big honor. My focus is on preparing myself for when the season starts to help the Rangers, but you also have to be at your best to even make that team. You have to be playing really well the first few months of the season, so that, for sure, will be in my mind and I’ll see where that takes me."

But after months and months of silence, it's great news to hear that Staal is fully anticipating a return for the New York Rangers next season. What are your thoughts?

All of the quotes used in this story are property of Blueshirts United.