New York Rangers News: Troy Donnay Signs Entry-Level Contract With Rangers

Like many prospects, we don't have a picture of Tory Donnay. Here's a picture of Cristoval Nieves instead. - Bruce Bennett

The New York Rangers have signed OHL defenseman Troy Donnay to a three year entry-level contract.

According to the New York Rangers official CapGeek page, Troy Donnay has signed a three-year, entry-level contract that carries at $716,667 cap hit during those three years. Donnay, 19, played his last two seasons with the Erie Otters of the Ontario Hockey League, where he totaled 2 goals, 14 assists, and 92 penalty minutes in 118 games played. He also served as an assistant captain on an Otters team that went an abysmal 19-40 last season.

Donnay's contract will also slide through next season, assuming that he will not be appearing in 10 NHL games with the Rangers. Due to his contract likely sliding, Donnay will not count against the 50 contract limit this upcoming season.

Before being traded to the Erie Otters, Donnay was one of the few players who saw limited ice time with the London Knights. Following the trade to Erie, he received an immense amount of ice time, which also included some power play time on the first unit. He possesses a pretty massive slap shot from the point, which is due largely in part to his size and strength.

Donnay also participated in the Rangers 2013 Prospect Development Camp, and will likely be on the roster that travels to Traverse City in September.

Here's a short little excerpt we found on Donnay from Draft Site.

Intriguing, raw and rough shut-down defensive prospect. He will have to catch up to his body size in terms of coordination. He does have a good stride and turns fairly well, and is able to close gaps and engage attackers. Plays with snarl. His all-around game, footwork, and agility will improve, and he will get stronger. He will be more able to read and react to defensive situations and answer athletically.

From everything we've seen, it sounds like Donnay is a ways away from competing at the NHL level, and is more of a minor league project. But hey, all of this defensive depth can't hurt. Gordie Clark and company are stock piling them like it's going out of style.

Thoughts?