New York Rangers News: Ryan McDonagh Expected To Re-Sign "Soon" With Rangers

Bruce Bennett

The New York Rangers are expected to re-sign Ryan McDonagh in the next day or two, in order to prevent other teams from sending in an offer sheet.

While today will likely be a pretty quiet day for the New York Rangers (or at least we think), news broke just several minutes ago about Ryan McDonagh potentially coming to terms on a new contract in the coming days. According to Pat Leonard of the NY Daily News, the expectation is that the Rangers will come to terms with their top-pairing defenseman in the next day or two, in order to prevent an incoming offer sheet.

As of noon today, teams will be allowed to submit offer-sheets to unsigned restricted free agents. There is a growing concern around the league that offer sheets could actually make several appearances this off-season, with so many teams fighting to get under the reconstructed $64 million cap ceiling.

McDonagh will likely break the mold of receiving a two-year "bridge deal" coming off of an entry-level contract, and the Rangers will likely sign him to a long-term deal. As Leonard also points out, some comparable deals to McDonagh's anticipated contract are Roman Josi (7-years at $28 million total), and Slava Voynov (6-years at $25 million total).

If this news does actually come true to form, it would obviously be great for not only the Rangers, and McDonagh, but everyone else involved. There's no doubt that the Rangers know how important McDonagh is to the organization, and I can see this moving along pretty quickly.

Thoughts?