FanPost

Rangers + FA Adj Corsi 2012-13

For those that don't know, Corsi is a measurement of all the shot attempts while a player is on the ice, not just those that hit the net, but also the ones that miss the net and get blocked. It is a good proxy for possession and is a good indicator of where the puck is when certain players are on the ice. If when your on the ice, the other team has the puck a lot and thus spends a lot of time in your own zone, than you are going to have a bad corsi number. The "corsi on" number is a +/- number of all shots attempted while a player is on the ice. So for instance, when Zucc was on the ice this year the Rangers attempted 20.4 more shots per 60 minutes than their opponents which is a very strong number and a good sign moving forward with him. The adjustments to come up with one's "corsi expected" are a player's quality of competition (QoC), quality of teammates (QoT) and where he is starting on the ice (OZS%). My understanding is that it is best used to compare players within the same team because the adjustments are made in comparison to your teammates. So a player with an adjusted corsi of 0 on LA is a better possession player than someone with an adjusted corsi of 0 on Toronto (I think). Therefore, Pouliot being +6.8 on Tampa doesn't mean that he would be +6.8 on the Rangers because the Rangers were a better performing possession team (he had a +2.6 adj corsi on Boston the year before). If you want to view the page where I got the idea to do this, click here. The table where I got the data from can be found here and that will also allow you to navigate to other teams/prior seasons so you can do this analysis on your own if interested. Domonic Moore's numbers are from 11-12 because he wasn't in the NHL last year.
FORWARDS

Player

Corsi QoC

Corsi QoT