New York Rangers News: Hartford Wolfpack Sign Defenseman Brendon Nash

Bruce Bennett

The Hartford Wolfpack announced they have signed Brendon Nash to American Hockey League contract.

The Hartford Wolfpack are continuing to stockpile defenseman down in the American Hockey League, as they have now added Brendon Nash into the equation. Nash has two pro seasons under his belt down in the AHL, and split time last season between the Hamilton Bulldogs (Montreal Canadiens), San Antonio Rampage (Florida Panthers), and Charlotte Checkers (Carolina Hurricanes). Over those 54 games, Nash put up six goals, and 13 assists for a total of 19 points.

Nash has also appeared in two NHL games back in 2010-2011 with Montreal Canadiens, but was unable to register a single point, and averaged 10:12 of ice time. Nash also missed out on the entire 2011-2012 season as he suffered a season ending shoulder injury during training camp.

The Cornell University graduate began his pro career by signing as a college free agent with the Canadiens back on March 30th, 2010. With the amount of defensemen Hartford has on hand, there will be a ton of competition during training camp. It's expected that Nash will likely compete for a top-six role with the Wolfpack.

It's also worth pointing out that because Nash's contract is an AHL deal, he will not count against the Rangers 50 contract limit, and cannot be called up to the NHL.

Thoughts?