New York Rangers Prospects: Rangers Lose Out On Sergey Tolchinsky

As usual, we currently have no pictures of Tolchinsky, so here's Brady Skjei - Charles LeClaire-US PRESSWIRE

The New York Rangers have lost out on a highly talented prospect in Sergey Tolchinsky, as he signed with the Carolina Hurricanes.

The New York Rangers lost out on a highly talented prospect earlier this morning as Sergey Tolchinsky signed a 3-year entry-level contract with the Carolina Hurricanes. Tolchinsky was signed as an undrafted free agent, after he was completely passed over during the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. Many scouts were scratching their heads after Tolchinsky went undrafted as he was ranked in the top 100 on some scouting lists prior to the draft.

While Tolchinsky didn't get his chance during the draft, he sure didn't go unnoticed at development camps with the Rangers and Hurricanes. He was easily one of the better players at both camps, and the Rangers invited him to participate on their Traverse City roster in September. Unfortunately for us though, Tolchinsky went on to Carolina's development camp and dominated the scene even more, which eventually lead him to an entry-level contract.

His height and weight were a little bit of a concern, but he definitely made up for that with his speed and scoring ability. I really hope Glen Sather and co. were in this negotiation until the end, because it would be pretty disappointing to find out that they waited a little too long. I was pretty excited to see Tolchinsky at the upcoming Traverse City tournament, only in a New York Rangers jersey.

You can't win them all though. What are everyone's thoughts?