2014 NHL Stadium Series: Press Conference Recap

Andy Marlin

The New York Rangers, New York Islanders, and New Jersey Devils were all present at Yankee Stadium this afternoon for a formal press conference.

The National Hockey League held an "official" press conference at Yankee Stadium earlier this morning, to promote the Stadium Series games between the New York Rangers, New York Islanders, and New Jersey Devils in late January. The Rangers are scheduled to play the Devils on January 26 at 12:30 PM, followed by a game against the New York Islanders on January 29 at 7:00 PM.

Along with Gary Bettman, and Donald Fehr, each of the three teams were represented by a member from the management team, along with two players. The Rangers were represented by assistant general manager Jeff Gorton, in addition to both Ryan Callahan and Dan Girardi. Unfortunately for us, Glen Sather wasn't present to give his "guarantee" speech like he did two years ago in Philadelphia.

Ticket opportunities still have yet to be released by the NHL but, you can log onto www.nhl.com/2014NewYork to receive updates on tickets, travel packages, and special offers. The Rangers are also expected to unveil a brand new jersey for these games, which could be announced in the coming weeks.

Following the formal session, Andrew Gross of The Record met up with Gorton to discuss some of the Rangers ongoing discussions with Derek Stepan and Henrik Lundqvist. He provided that there was no updates on current talks, but they are confident that a deal will get done for both players in the near future.

Gorton also pointed out that the Rangers would prefer not to exceed the cap ceiling during the summer, which could play a part in contract talks with Stepan. Arron Asham and Darroll Powe will also be present at training camp to compete for roster spots as well. They must clear waivers once again, in order to be demoted down to the American Hockey League.

Thoughts?