New York Rangers Training Camp: Miller Still Remains Out; Callahan Likely To Miss Season Opener

Elsa

J.T. Miller didn't skate today, and will likely miss the first two preseason games, while Ryan Callahan said he will probably miss the season opener.

The New York Rangers concluded day four of training, and some injury updates started to spread among the media. The first one being J.T. Miller, who wasn't present on the ice for his group's scheduled practice. Miller left the ice early yesterday, and hasn't been back since. Alain Vigneault didn't provide any further updates, but, according to Katie Strang of ESPN New York, Miller will likely miss the first two preseason games on Monday and Tuesday.

It is a little disappointing to see Miller sidelined by injuries yet again, and it will be pretty tough for him to crack the opening night roster. There aren't many spots up for grabs as it is, so missing the first two preseason games will give guys like Danny Kristo, and Oscar Lindberg the edge.

Speaking of injuries, Ryan Callahan met with the media for the first time during training camp, and shed some light on his shoulder injury. Callahan said that his shoulder rehab is on schedule, and that the next step is being cleared for contact, which has no specific timetable.

He also isn't ruling himself out for the season opener against the Phoenix Coyotes, but said that it's a pretty "slim chance" he would be ready to go. Callahan was expected to miss at least a few games to start the year, so this news really isn't all that surprising. I'd also assume Carl Hagelin is in the same boat, which would open up two roster spots to start the year.

The Rangers are scheduled to have an inter-squad scrimmage tomorrow morning, before they head off to Newark for their first preseason game against the New Jersey Devils. The scrimmage will be broadcast live on MSG Networks starting at 11:00 AM.