New York Rangers News: Johan Hedberg Released, Five More Sent To Hartford

Jared Wickerham

The New York Rangers have released Johan Hedberg for his PTO, and sent five others down to Hartford.

According to the team, the New York Rangers have released Johan Hedberg from his professional tryout agreement, and he will become a free agent once again. It is a little strange to see Hedberg cut before appearing in a preseason game, but, with strong performances from Martin Biron and CamTalbot last night, it's not really much of a surprise.

The Rangers were expected to travel with four goaltenders on their western road trip, but with the quick change of plans, it will be Biron, Talbot and Henrik Lundqvist manning the crease. Hedberg was initially brought in while Biron attended to a personal matter back at home.

The Rangers have also cut five players from their training camp roster, and assigned them to the Hartford Wolfpack, as per Andrew Gross. Those fives players are Brendon Nash, Josh Nicholls, Shawn O'Donnell, Michael St. Croix, and Ryan Bourque. It is a little disappointing to see St. Croix getting cut without a game under his belt, but it'll give him some more seasoning down in the AHL.

Following today's scheduled practice, the Rangers will fly out west where they will prepare for their final stretch of the preseason. They'll have four games in five nights as they match up against the Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, Vancouver Canucks, and Los Angeles Kings.