Time for another look at the news and stories from inside the Metropolitan Division. With the regular season just around the corner we are starting to get a better idea of what rosters are going to look like not only for the Rangers but for their divisional rivals. The big news inside the division this week is the Devils signing former Red Wing Damien Brunner to a two-year deal.
Keep an eye on final roster cuts over the weekend and obviously on the Derek Stepan contract situation. I don't know about you guys but I'm done guessing who I should be mad at and am starting to just become disappointed with the whole situation. The Rangers need Stepan and Stepan needs to think big picture and realize that he will be paid very, very well in two years time if he decides to play ball now. Whatever happens with that whole mess it is a good thing that the Rangers seem to have a heck of a lot of depth down the middle but there's no denying that this team is simply not as good with Stepan not in the picture. It is scary to think that the Rangers could be starting the season without Carl Hagelin, Ryan Callahan, and Derek Stepan... three legitimate top six forwards. Yikes.
Anyway, enough of that depressing crap, let's jump into your links for the week!
- WSH: The Meaning of Meaningless Games. | Caps Sign Connor Carrick. | Is Tom Wilson the Missing Piece? | A Unique Look at the Caps Depth Chart. | Caps on the Hot Seat. | Getting to Know Eric Fehr.
- NJD: Brunner Signs With Devils. | Devils Roster Down to 28 Men. | Why Krystofer Barch and His Role Aren't Important. | Season Preview: Forwards. | Season Preview: Defensemen. | Season Preview: Goaltenders. | Jagr Won't Play in Final Preseason Game. | Puck Daddy's Take on Brunner Joining the Devils.
- NYI: LHH's Breakdown of Preseason Suspensions. | Magic: The Gathering's Hockey Expansion. | Weird Preseason Rules: Minimum Veterans Dressed. | Why the Isles Should Keep Grabner and Nielsen together on the PK. | Is Evgeni Nabokov a Problem for the Isles' Playoff Hopes? | Pensburgh's Islanders Season Preview.
- PIT: The Hockey News picks the Penguins to finish on top of the Metro Division. | Brenden Morrow Signs with Blues. | Prospect Profile #1 Derrick Pouliot. | Kris Letang With a "Pick Six". | Vokoun Released from Hospital, no timetable for his return. | Vokoun's Scary Blood Cut History. | Kobasew Making a Strong Case to Make the Penguins. | Prospect Profile #1 Brian Dumoulin. | Prospect Profile #3 Olli Maatta. | Maatta Might Have Played Himself onto Penguins Roster. | Puck Daddy's Season Preview for the Penguins.
- PHI: Matt Read Signs Four Year Extension. | Voracek Injured Against the Devils in the Same Game that Giroux Returns. | Five Players that Must Step up For the Flyers. | Yann Danis has Hextall and Rocky on his mask. | Puck Daddy's Flyers Season Preview.
- CAR: So Far, Inconsistency the Only Constant. | Canes Leading the League in Goals Scored Against in Preseason. | Canes Trim Roster.
- CBJ: Blue Jackets Hope Offense Will be a Group Effort. | Blue Jackets need Bob and Gabby to be Excellent. | Blue Jackets Look for Johansen to Break Out.
- NYR: The Hockey News picks the Rangers to finish second in the Metro Division. | Pensburgh's NYR Season Preview (Questions Answered by Yours Truly). | Hank's Swedish Head and Shoulders Commercial. | Lundqvist Looking Forward to Eventful Season. | Puck Daddy Takes a Look at Stepan's Contract Situation.
- Life Links: TSN's Top 50 Players Ranked. | Prince Kessel and the Captain of the Guard. | Rivalries to Anticipate. | Alex Radulov is Superman. | Sam Gagner's Broken Jaw is Not a Pretty Sight. | LEGO Creation: Edmonton Oilers Arena. | George Carlin. | GTA V: Mythbusters Episode 1. | Your Weekly Dose of Cute.
In the Division
Well, there you go guys and girls. Plenty of good reads to get you through the weekend after the Rangers finish up their preseason games. What do you think of the Brunner signing? The Morrow signing? The Read extension? Should the Penguins be looking for other goaltending options with Vokoun's injury history and serious questions surrounding Fleury? Are you tired of preseason games? Are you shocked by Kristo being cut? How many of your five senses would you give up in order to gain the power of flight (I'd say goodbye to taste and smell in a heartbeat)? Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight? Remember Pogs? Who would win in a fight, two Street Sharks or Rubeus Hagrid? At what age are velcro shoes no longer "do-able"? Did you read about Blueshirt Banter's EA Sports Hockey League on NHL 14??? Have you visited the BSB store lately? Did you even know we have a store? Are you excited for Blueshirts Monthly? Did you know we have a twitter for it? What is the coolest thing you've ever made out of LEGOs? Do you see what happens when I am not sure what to write? It's terrible isn't it?
Hope you guys and gals are having a lovely day and enjoy a fantastic weekend before we come face-to-face with the regular season and watch our beloved Rangers face off against the 'Yotes in Schmiedeberg's state. Have fun, laugh, think, love, and have yourself an adventure. Remember to share your own hockey links and thoughts about this week's links in the comments below!
Let's go Rangers.