New York Rangers News: Taylor Pyatt Placed On Waivers

Kevin Hoffman-USA TODAY Sports

According to Larry Brooks of the New York Post, the New York Rangers have placed Taylor Pyatt on waivers earlier this afternoon. Pyatt has only played a few games since returning from a concussion earlier in December, and even had a little chat with Glen Sather a few weeks ago. With the recent play of J.T. Miller since his call up, Pyatt didn't really have a shot of playing unless there were some sudden injuries.

Also, with Ryan Callahan one a few days off from returning, they needed to make room on the roster to accommodate him when he was ready to go. Brooks points out that with a quick move for Taylor Pyatt, Callahan could be ready to return on Friday against the Pittsburgh Penguins, or Saturday night in Toronto at the earliest. Callahan was originally expected to miss at least another week or two, but we all know that he heals at an incredible rate, so hearing he's ready earlier isn't all that surprising.

From a salary cap standpoint if Pyatt goes unclaimed, this move will save the Rangers $925,000 if the choose the bury him in Hartford. In the event that someone picks him up, his entire salary will come off the books, which would free up $1.5 million.

In two seasons with the Rangers, Pyatt totaled six goals, six assists, was a -4, and had 16 total penalty minutes.