Rangers Vs. Red Wings Recap: Henrik Lundqvist Shuts The Door On Detroit

Bruce Bennett

The New York Rangers came away with a blue-collar effort tonight, and earned two points over the Detroit Red Wings with Henrik Lundqvist snagging the shutout.

So, that Henrik Lundqvist guy is pretty good at the game of hockey, huh? The New York Rangers were able to top the Detroit Red Wings tonight by a score of 1-0, and Henrik Lundqvist picked up his third shutout of the season as well. The Rangers battled all night long in all three zone, and just weren't able to solve Jimmy Howard for a little over 46 minutes. I mean, the Rangers practically tossed everything but the kitchen sink Howard's way, and he had an answer for all but one.

Throughout the first two periods alone, the Rangers had totaled up just about 35 shots, and it was looking like the Rangers weren't going to break through at any point during the game. Luckily enough they had Henrik Lundqvist on the other end as well, as he and Jimmy Howard practically dueled it out all night long.

Finally the at the 14:02 mark of the third period, the Rangers were able to break the deadlock, and Mats Zuccarello chipped a puck past Jimmy Howard to make it 1-0. It didn't appear as if Zuccarello intended to actually put the puck on net, but rather get the pass over to Benoit Pouliot who was wide open. The puck wound up going off of Brian Lashoff's skate, and just barely flipped over the pads of Howard.

You had to figure with the way both goaltenders were playing that it would take something fluky to cross the goal line. However, the Red Wings didn't just roll over and quit after the goal, they continued to work for the tying goal. They almost came close to doing so as Gustav Nyquist's shot rung off the post, and fell in the crease below Lundqvist. Henrik was able to locate the puck underneath him, and quickly swallowed it up along the goal line to keep the puck out of the net.

It was pretty much a game saving goal, and it was the perfect way to cap off the shutout for the King. The Rangers were able to fend off the remaining pressure from the Red Wings, and eventually went on to snag the two points on home ice. It was a huge win to cap off a very successful home stand, as the Rangers were able to gather six out of a possible eight points. They'll head into Ottawa on Saturday with their heads held high, and looking to take home two more points back to New York.