Trio of Rangers in for Team USA; Taylor Pyatt Waived; Ryan Callahan nearing a comeback?

Marc DesRosiers-US PRESSWIRE

Today's New York Rangers notes.

The Rangers are off until Friday, but Wednesday was a big day for the team, and a big day for hockey in general. Here are your morning notes.

The Rangers waived Taylor Pyatt Wednesday, in what could be a move to clear space for the return of Ryan Callahan. [Blueshirt Banter] [ESPN NY] Callahan has not played since Dec. 10 after suffering a knee sprain in a game versus the Predators. The injured Rangers captain could play Friday against the Penguins, or Saturday against the Maple Leafs.

Following the 2013 Winter Classic, USA Hockey announced the 25-player roster for the upcoming Winter Games in Sochi. Among those selected were Ryan McDonagh, Callahan, and Derek Stepan. [Blueshirt Banter] [SB Nation NHL]

On McDonagh, who continues to excel and improve his craft, and is a great asset for Team USA. [NY Times]

A fascinating read from Scott Burnside on how Team USA was assembled. [ESPN] An interesting nugget from that story: Outside of a core group of returning forwards that consists of Zach Parise, David Backes, Dustin Brown, Patrick Kane, and Callahan, Stepan was also considered a lock by the USA brass to make the Sochi squad.

For the eighth time this season, Michael Del Zotto found himself as a healthy scratch during the Rangers last game. [NY Post] [Blueshirts Blog]

Alain Vigneault said he was not referring to Michael Del Zotto when making a comment about players handling being a healthy scratch poorly. [NY Post]

There were no morning notes yesterday, so in case you missed the Rangers' come-from-behind New Year's Eve victory over the Florida Panthers, some recaps from the game. [Blueshirt Banter] [NY Post] [Daily News] [The Record] [Newsday]