Rangers Vs. Islanders Preview: Cam Talbot To Start Tonight With Lundqvist Out Sick

Bruce Bennett

The New York Rangers will look for their fourth straight win tonight as they take on their division rivals, the New York Islanders.

After sweeping the weekend series with the Ottawa Senators and the Washington Capitals, the New York Rangers will shift their focus to the New York Islanders this evening. Coming into tonight's game, the Rangers are winners of their last three games, and are 11-3-1 in their last 15. As for the Islanders, they have went through a recent surge of 7-3-0 in their last ten games, but suffered their most recent loss to the Philadelphia Flyers on Saturday night.

Tonight will be interesting for the Rangers, as Henrik Lundqvist will not dress due to an unknown type of illness that developed overnight. It was originally thought that his absence was injury related, as he appeared to tweak his leg/groin late in the game against the Washington Capitals. With Lundqvist out tonight, Cam Talbot will get the nod tonight, while his backup is still unknown at the moment.

According to Katie Strang, a recall from the Hartford Wolfpack is not a viable option due to the inclement weather conditions in the tri-state area. Their only option at the moment will be signing a local goalie to a one-day contract to serve as Talbot's backup on the bench. It'll be interesting to see who gets the call. The full lineup for tonight's game can be found below.

Nyi VS.

New York Islanders (20-24-7) vs New York Rangers (27-21-3)
Madison Square Garden - New York, NY - 7:00 PM
Television: MSG, MSG PLUS 2| Radio: ESPN NY 98.7 |
Opponent's Blog: Lighthouse Hockey

Projected Lineup:

Chris Kreider - Derek Stepan - Rick Nash
Carl Hagelin - Brad Richards - Ryan Callahan
Benoit Pouliot - Derick Brassard - Mats Zuccarello
Brian Boyle - Dominic Moore - Daniel Carcillo

Ryan McDonagh - Dan Girardi
Marc Staal - Anton Stralman
John Moore - Michael Del Zotto

Cam Talbot
David LeNeveu

Scratches/Injuries: Justin Falk (healthy), Derek Dorsett (leg), Henrik Lundqvist (illness).