FanPost

MORE SIMILARITIES THAN DIFFERENCES

The first served as coach and general manager of a team in a league that eventually merged with the present league the team currently plays in.

The second served as coach and general manager of a team in a league that eventually merged with the present league the team currently plays in.

Both won championships with that team, both winning four. Both never recreated the glory in their later years (the second one still going).

The first later became owner of the team, the second moved on and became general manager of another team.

Both drafted several hall-of-famers early in their careers and built successful teams. Both traded away the face of their franchise (twice), upsetting their fan base.

The first became owner of his team, the second became general manager of another team.

In their later years, both were ridiculed for their poor, questionable drafts and silly free agent signings. The second got lucky trading one of his mistakes for a bright young prospect.

In their later years, both came close to championships, one losing in the championship game, the other in the conference finals.

In their later years, the first had his team in a constant state of rebuilding due to questionable drafts. The second, failed to recognize the need to rebuild and wasted resources due to questionable drafts and free agent signings.

In case you haven't guessed yet, the first is none other than Al Davis, coach, general manager and later owner of the Oakland/Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders and one time commissioner of the AFL. Prior to the AFL/NFL merger, Davis won the 1967 AFL Championship, losing to the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl I and later won Super Bowls XI, XV and XVIII.

The second is none other than Glen Sather, coach and general manager of the Edmonton Oilers both prior to and after the WHA/NHL merger and currently general manager of the Rangers. Sather won four Stanley Cups with the Oilers in '84, '85, '87 and '88.

We obviously know about the failings of both in their later years, Sather getting lucky with drafting the King late in the 2000 draft and getting one of the franchise's cornerstones by trading away one of his worst blunders. Davis, had generally poor drafts in later years with the exception of Sebatian Janikowski, who was drafted in the first round about three rounds before anyone else would have even thought about drafting him.

Both gave away faces of the franchise, Davis trading away Ken Stabler and Marcus Allen (releasing him). Sather, not to be outdone, traded away Wayne Gretzky and later the face of the Rangers, Brian Leetch. (Yes, I know there were more for both)

In his last years, Davis was a laughing stock, drawing the ridicule of Raider Nation and enduring the loss to former coach Jon Gruden in Super Bowl XXXVII.

As Rangers' fans we all know about the disappointing loss in the ECF in 2012. If the similarities hold, I guess we have this to look forward to: Sather hobbling around MSG with assorted band-aids on his face, chewing that cigar and in a future draft, making a selection that will equate to Davis' drafting of JaMarcus Russell.

Please Mr. Dolan, put Glen (and us) out of our misery. END THE INSANITY!