New York Rangers news: Ryan Callahan to return Friday against Pittsburgh

Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

Sidelined since Dec. 10 with a sprained knee, Ryan Callahan will make his return to the Rangers' lineup against the rival Penguins.

It's been 23 days since Ryan Callahan has been in the Rangers' lineup, having been kept out since Dec. 10 with a sprained knee. But Callahan, who was recently named to the USA Olympic Hockey Team—a potential foreshadow of his health—is returning to NHL action Friday night when the Rangers take on the Penguins in Pittsburgh. Andrew Gross of The Record was the first to report it.

When Callahan originally hurt his knee, it was reported he'd miss 4-6 weeks with the injury. Per the norm with Callahan, he's back a bit ahead of that diagnosis (he returned quicker than the 3-4 week timetable from a broken thumb earlier this season).

Per Steve Zipay of Newsday, J.T. Miller will be the healthy scratch with Callahan back in the fold.

Tonight's game preview will be up in a few hours, with complete lineup updates, including news on Conor Allen, Michael Del Zotto, and Justin Falk.