New York Rangers News: No Supplemental Discipline Expected For Chris Kreider

Timothy T. Ludwig-USA TODAY Spor

Chris Kreider isn't expected to receive any extra supplemental discipline from last night's hit on Fedor Tyutin of the Columbus Blue Jackets.

According to Andrew Gross of The Record, Chris Kreider is not expected to receive any further supplemental discipline following his hit on Fedor Tyutin last night. Kreider was assessed a five minute major for boarding, and an accompanying game misconduct for the hit. At first glance the hit seemed to be as vicious as they come, and the result only made the situation that much worse for Kreider.

However, after looking at the play again, there was actually little to no intent on Kreider's part, and he even held up when coming in for the hit. Not to mention, the principle point of contact was Tyutin's shoulder, and the outcome of the hit was just a horrible result of him being twisted around while keeping the puck in. At the most, it should have only been a two minute minor, but at the same time, you can't really blame the referees for making that type of call.

They don't necessarily have the same luxury of reviewing the play as we do, and their initial judgement is making the call on what they saw, and the outcome of it all. Tyutin wound up remaining on the bench for a short time following the hit, but eventually left the game for good with an apparent lower-body injury, which wasn't a direct result of the hit.

With all of that said, Kreider will be allowed to suit up with the Rangers tomorrow night when they take on the Chicago Blackhawks, and it's a huge sigh of relief. The Rangers struggled for a better part of the second period after Kreider was ejected, which just further signifies how valuable Chris Kreider is to the New York Rangers at the moment.

Thoughts?