Rangers take down defending Cup champs; Kreider's physical game; Girardi on the block?

Dennis Wierzbicki-USA TODAY Spor

Today's New York Rangers notes

The Rangers season can be accurately described as inconsistent. The team has flirted with the .500 mark through the midway point of the NHL calendar, showing signs of positive play, while other nights displaying a more puzzling, disheartening level of play. Let's just say Wednesday was one of the better nights for the team. Here are your morning notes.

Sure, it's just one game, but the Rangers became just the third team all season to take down the defending Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks on their home ice. After taking a 2-0 lead, the Rangers allowed Chicago to claw back, and the Blackhawks tied the game on a soft goal in the second period. But that's all Henrik Lundqvist would allow on the night, as he tallied 35 saves, and the Rangers were able to secure a big two points on the road. Some recaps. [Blueshirt Banter] [Daily News] [The Record] [Blueshirts United]

He's been playing a little better of late, but gearing up for a tournament he's excelled in, can the Olympics help Lundqvist? [ESPN NY]

Chris Kreider is comfortable playing a physical game. [Rangers Rants]

Rangers' 2013 third round draft pick Adam Tambellini left North Dakota to play in the WHL. [Bueshirt Banter]

Is Dan Girardi on the trading block? [Blueshirt Banter]

Six things to watch in the Olympics, with a New York feel. [ESPN NY]

Daniel Carcillo made his Rangers debut against his former club Wednesday night, logging seven minutes of ice time, but did draw a penalty that led to a power play goal. [Blueshirts Blog]