2014 Sochi Olympics: Mats Zuccarello Did NOT Dress In Norway's 4-0 Loss to Russia

Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports

Mats Zuccarello is battling a wrist injury that he suffered last game, and it was bad enough to hold him out of this morning's elimination game against Russia.

Based on numerous reports from Sochi this morning, Mats Zuccarello did not dress in today's game for Norway, which was an elimination game against Russia. Prior to this morning, there were rumors floating around that Zuccarello suffered an apparent wrist injury last game, but he wound up finishing the game with over 10 minutes played in the third period. At the time, it didn't appear to be anything serious as Zuccarello wasn't forced out of the game, and he logged sizable minutes at the end of the game.

Fast forward to this morning, and that news seems to be getting a little worse. Based on reports out of Norway, Zuccarello was struck with a puck during their final preliminary game against Austria on Sunday morning. Zuccarello's hand had swelled up so much over the last day or so that he was unable to play in this morning's elimination game. According to Dmitry Chesnokov, who was in attendance for today's game, Zuccarello was show on the jumbotron with his left hand bandaged up.

It isn't immediately known how serious the injury is, aside from the massive amount of swelling. We'll likely find out some information from the New York Rangers' soon, as Zuccarello will be on the first charter back to New York on Thursday morning. In addition to Zuccarello's injury, Carl Hagelin is also battling an unknown injury after he took a high stick in one of Sweden's preliminary games as well. Luckily enough, the injury isn't as serious and he will suit up for Sweden's quarterfinal game against Slovenia on Wednesday.

Thoughts on this?