New York Rangers News: Mats Zuccarello Diagnosed With A Small Fracture

Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sport

New York Rangers forward Mats Zuccarello has been diagnosed with a small fracture in his left hand, and could be ready in time when the Rangers resume their schedule.

New York Rangers forward Mats Zuccarello has been diagnosed with a small fracture of the left hand according to a news report in Norway this morning.

Zuccarello missed Norway's 4-0 Olympic elimination defeat by host side Russia on Tuesday and team doctor Ole Fosse has today confirmed the fracture to website TV2.

"We took additional X-rays of his hand today and they showed that Mats has a small fracture in the left hand," he said.

Fosse continued to say that Zuccarello's hand became increasingly painful on Monday night after an initial observation on Sunday. The forward's withdrawal from Tuesday's game does seem to be a case of safety-first though and Fosse adds that his absence in New York should not be long-term.

"It is not complicated and does not take so long to heal. He will follow-up when he returns to the US, but I assume he is ready for play when the NHL resumes."

Zuccarello does of course have time to heal with the Rangers next game still a week away against the Chicago Blackhawks at Madison Square Garden. So please guys, step away from the ledge.