New York Rangers News: Cam Talbot To Start Vs. Chicago; Staal Questionable; Dorsett Ready?

Maddie Meyer

Cam Talbot will be getting the start against the Chicago Blackhawks on Thursday. Marc Staal is still battling back issues, and could there be a recall from Hartford?

According to Andrew Gross of The Record, Alain Vigneault announced that Cam Talbot will be getting the start on Thursday night against the Chicago Blackhawks. With Henrik Lundqvist only arriving back in New York a few days ago, it's not surprising as it allows him to recoup from the harsh travel schedule, and Olympic workload. This exactly what AV was talking about earlier in the year when he said they would be looking for a serviceable backup, who is capable of handling a heavier workload. As the seasons enters the backstretch, it's important for Henrik Lundqvist to be as healthy/rested as possible for a playoff push.

Speaking of being healthy, Marc Staal continues to battle back issues as he has been suffering from back spasms these last few days. Today was the first time Staal had skated since the Rangers returned to practice, and he noted that his health is definitely improving. He's expected to go through a full practice tomorrow morning, and determine his status afterwards.

Derek Dorsett is also set to be available on Thursday, as he has fully healed from his broken leg that he suffered back in early January. Even with Dorsett likely available, Vigneault left the door open for a possible call up from the Hartford Wolfpack within the next 24 hours. With Danny Kristo battling a lower-body injury, and J.T. Miller finally settling into a groove, the only likely option at the moment would be Oscar Lindberg.

It's not going to be an extended stay by any means, but it would give the Rangers some offensive flexibility going forward with the absence of Mats Zuccarello.That's all we have for now, but be sure to stay tuned for an interesting week ahead in Rangerland.

Thoughts?