Rangers ice Blackhawks; Callahan and Girardi's contract talks

Adam Hunger-USA TODAY Sports

Today's New York Rangers notes.

There are trade rumors, reasons to use distractions as a scape goat, and to top it off, a difficult opoonent after the long Olympic layoff. Luckily for the Rangers, none of those obstacles were too big to overcome Thursday night. Plus, the latest on Ryan Callahan and Dan Girardi. Here are your morning notes.

The Rangers played two very solid periods of hockey against a very good Blackhawks team, and then leaned on Cam Talbot in the third to win their first win out of the Olympic break 2-1. Some recaps, if you missed it. [Blueshirt Banter] [Daily News] [ESPN NY] [NY Post] [The Record] [Newsday] [Blueshirts United]

If you haven't already heard, Martin St. Louis has his eyes on New York. [Blueshirt Banter]

While things were reportedly moving forward, Girardi and the Rangers have hit a roadblock in contract talks. [NY Post] [ESPN NY] [Newsday]

Callahan's agent said he has made contact with the Rangers and has had contract discussions since the end of the Olympic break. [Blueshirts Blog]

And as Callahan's future in New York remains very much uncertain, neither he nor the team is to blame for trying to protect themselves, writes Pat Leonard. [Daily News]

Five questions with Rangers play-by-play man Sam Rosen. [NY Post]