FanPost

Wild Trade Idea--thoughts?

To STL: Ryan Callahan, Dan Girardi

To NYR: Chris Stewart, Kevin Shattenkirk

Would you do it? Is it too lopsided one way or the other? I'm trying to be as unbiased about this as possible.

It would be all-in for the Blues since both Cally and Girardi are UFA, but to me this trade helps both teams in the short-term.

The Blues get Callahan, who's a major upgrade over the type of player they hoped Brendan Morrow might still be. He's the ideal player to add for a Cup run. Girardi is a top-two defenseman in this league--a great shot-blocker and minutes-eater.

The Rangers get a young power forward in Stewart who, though inconsistent, has scored at least 15 goals just about every season he's played (with the obvious hope he'll double that.) Shattenkirk would give the Rangers a 25-year-old power-play QB. The Blues have a beast in Alex Pietrangelo--maybe they'd be ok dealing away Shattenkirk's offense?

I don't want the Rangers to trade Callahan OR Girardi, as I'd prefer to see these two help them make a Cup run and then re-sign here. But if that deal is on the table, knowing you COULD lose both, do you take it?

It's probably crazy for the Blues to trade two young players under team control for two pending UFA, but if they think it would help them get a Cup this year, maybe they'd consider it. It sure wouldn't hurt their chances of re-signing one or both of them, depending on what the Blues are willing to spend these days.

Also, the Rangers could offer Marc Staal instead of Girardi--that gives the Blues an extra year of team control, and makes it less of a risk this off-season. Thoughts?