Oilers sneak by Rangers; Nothing likely on Callahan pre-Olympics; Brassard adding depth

Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports

Today's New York Rangers notes.

For the first time this season, the Rangers found themselves on a four-game winning streak. But just as quickly as it started, New York found themselves on the wrong side of a result to Edmonton Thursday night. Plus, some Ryan Callahan news. Your morning notes.

The Rangers took 36 shots Thursday night, but squandered a number of chances, and gave up a goal in the final two minutes of the game, falling to the Oilers 2-1. Some recaps. [NY Post] [ESPN NY] [Daily News] [The Record] [Newsday] [Blueshirts United]

With the roster freeze going into effect Friday at 3 p.m., Callahan's agent was expected to reach out to Glen Sather and the Rangers on Thursday. [ESPN NY] [Newsday]

A bit more on the Callahan situation as it currently stands, from Larry Brooks:

For the Rangers, the key will be re-finding their momentum after the Olympics end, writes Andrew Gross. [The Record]

And with the tournament so close, some Rangers can't help but start thinking about traveling to Sochi. [Rangers Rants]

On Derick Brassard, and the importance of depth scoring. [Blueshirt Banter]

Ever wonder what I sound like? I hopped on TSN radio on Thursday ahead of Rangers-Oilers to talk about the Blueshirts season, and other things. (Note: Shifts to Rangers at about the 17:20 mark) [Lowdown with Lowtide]