FanPost

NHL Withdrawal: Day 1

Well Rangers' fans, what are you doing with your free time. I tried watching a little Olympic women's hockey and a little AHL hockey on the NHL network. Couldn't get into either game, maybe because the fact we are without NHL hockey has not hit home yet. Hopefully the Rangers can pick up where they left off when they return to the ice at the end of the month. Hopefully my hot streak keeps going too! (hit two team parlays both Friday/Saturday, but only for small amounts, maybe two lunches during the week)

I think we can all agree that the NHL is one of (if not the) greatest sports league. When I was a youngster @(about the time Fitty was getting married and Richter started collecting Social Security)@, what drew me to the NHL was the speed of the game. (Back in the days of Peter Puck, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy5XxWxtZ8A) for those of you who don't know/remember what I am talking about)

As another aside, the hooking call in the video reminds me of that recent play by Zuccarello skating through the hooking call.

Anyway, growing up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin didn't afford many youth hockey opportunities, so I never got to play the game, but I appreciated pro hockey as much as football, appreciating the fact that players put everything into short shifts and changed on the fly, as opposed to the stop and start action of the NFL. While I also loved going to County Stadium with my father and grandfather for Brewer games, I enjoyed hockey mostly alone, unless dad would join me on weekend nights for the Wisconsin Badger games on the PBS station. (Who knew PBS had such educational, entertainment?) Enjoyed watching "Badger" Bob Johnson's teams. But my love was the NHL game.

When we moved to Madison, my 34 year support of the Blueshirts began, since we got cable television which included MSG Network in the evenings. While the Rangers' teams weren't always successful on the ice, it was nice to have a team to consistently cheer for.

Anyway, what are you guys doing to survive during the break? I hope to get in a fantasy league next year. (I'm sure the break is getting/will get to those of you taking part in those leagues. (By the way, if anyone is in a baseball league, let me know) Since it is only day 1, is it even bothering you yet? I have to admit, I am looking forward to the college games next Friday/Saturday on Big Ten Network and CBSSC.