Rangers take two weekend games; Stralman turns down extension offer; Zuccarello and Moore's value

Elsa

Today's New York Rangers notes.

Three Stars of the Weekend

Number three: Chris Kreider He netted a pair in Sunday's game against Detroit, showing off his variety of skills in the process. On his first, he defleted a point shot just above the crease. And on his last, he showed off his wheels and hands.

Number two: Derek Stepan Joe has been saying it all along, but Stepan has been playing consistently well for an extended stretch; he's just now starting to get the results. He got the game-winner on Friday, and added two assists on Sunday for a big weekend.

Number one: Ryan McDonagh All I have to say about this guy is if he keeps this up the final 17 games of the season, he's going to win the Norris Trophy. Continued his shutdown defensive play this weekend, while adding a goal and two assists to go along with it.

What You Missed

Bet everyone thought this would be Stepan's game-winner against Carolina? Instead, how about a great pass on a 2-on-1 rush before the defenseman can get set, followed by Kreider's quick release.

Now, on to the notes...

In a Sunday matinee, the Rangers picked up two points in a battle with another team fighting for playoff footing in the Red Wings. Some recaps. [Blueshirt Banter] [NY Post] [ESPN NY] [Daily News] [The Record] [Newsday] [Blueshirts United]

He was drafted 205th overall in the seventh round of the 2000 NHL Entry Draft. Five years later, he made his Rangers debut with tempered expectations. And 14 years after he was originally drafted by the New York, Henrik Lundqvist is now the winner of 300 NHL games. [ESPN NY]

And from Sunday's game, if you're looking for a good laugh, check out Pierre McGuire (unsuccessfully) try to throw a puck to a fan. [Blueshirt Banter]

In what may be a surprise as some, and a story that went under-the-radar for a few weeks, Anton Stralman reportedly declined a three-year contract extension. [Blueshirt Banter] [NY Post]

In the Rangers new-look system, Mats Zuccarello is a key cog. [NY Post]

And more on Zuccarello, who makes the Rangers much more dangerous, and provides the team with more depth now that he's back from injury. [The Record]

One constant from the Rangers season? The team has found success on the road. [Newsday]

Dominic Moore has served as the glue on the Rangers emerging, very important fourth line. [Daily News]

Bouncing from team-to-team, Raphael Diaz is hoping to settle in with the Rangers. [NY Post]

From Friday, the Rangers rallied from a two-goal deficit by pumping in four straight in the third period, and stealing a game on the road against the Hurricanes. [Blueshirt Banter] [NY Post] [ESPN NY] [Daily News] [The Record] [Newsday]