Rangers Vs. Red Wings: These Points Are Important

Elsa

Notes from the Rangers' win over the Red Wings.

- This is such a big win, after a big win on Friday after a tough series of losses the week before. The Rangers need these points as we move closer and closer to the end of the season. The Rangers have a one-point lead over the Flyers for second place in the Metropolitan. The Flyers do have a game in hand. Just makes you appreciate how important these wins are.

- Henrik Lundqvist earns his 300th win and his 49th career shutout. He will beat Mike Richter's record for wins easily before the year is over, barring something crazy. That means a lot, especially for a guy like me, who wore Richter's jersey when I played as a kid.

- And, speaking of Lundqvist, he was spectacular. Made some huge saves to keep things close when the Red Wings did get their chances.

- I've liked Chris Kreider the past few games, even though he didn't find the scoreboard. When he took the early bad penalty and people screamed on Twitter, I replied that you eat those lumps with a rookie because of the things he can do on offense. Then Kreider scored two goals and proved me right. I love when that happens.

- Ryan McDonagh. My word. The offense is starting to come. If he isn't a major favorite to win the Norris it's a crime.

- Derek Stepan just keeps putting up points of late. I'm done defending him, by the way. Made the decision today, I'm giving it up for Lent. If you want to live in the dark about him be my guest. Two assists, and some really good creation in the offensive zone.

- Pretty quiet game from Martin St. Louis, Brad Richards and Carl Hagelin. But I'm not shocked it's taking St. Louis a little time to acclimate himself. He'll find his footing soon. I'm not worried.

- John Moore looks so much better now that Michael Del Zotto is gone. And that has nothing to do with Del Zotto, it has everything to do with Moore moving back to his natural side. Earned an assist on Brian Boyle's first goal, jumped into the play and had a couple of quality scoring chances. Two assists his past two games, and a plethora of good games before that, too.

- Anton Stralman turned down a three-year, $9-million offer if you didn't see. That's a little surprising to me. Although I know he can get more on the open market, he has to know Glen Sather isn't offering much more than that. Maybe he'll get another offer maybe he won't.

- Huge, dominant win for the boys Sunday. They need to keep this momentum moving forward.

Thoughts?