Derek Stepan's hot streak; Martin St. Louis on the power play; Extending Marc Staal

James Guillory-USA TODAY Sports

Today's New York Rangers notes.

Not, it's not Groundhog's Day. On Tuesday night, for the second time in five days, the Rangers will be in Carolina to take on the Hurricanes. Since dropping their first two post-Olympic games, New York has gone 2-0-1, and is looking to keep that momentum going against a Carolina team it just defeated. Here are your morning notes.

Derek Stepan is getting things done of late for the Rangers, and on Tuesday, he'll return to Carolina where he kept his hot streak going less than a week ago. [Daily News] [Newsday]

In what would be an out-of-character move, but in their best interest, the Rangers need to soon lock up Marc Staal, writes Larry Brooks. [NY Post]

It's a little out-of-market, but Rangers-relevant and a great read nonetheless. Ranking the top-four defensemen on some of the big playoff contenders. [WEEI]

It's been greatly improved this season (while stagnant of late), and Martin St. Louis is the Rangers newest weapon on the power play. [NY Post]

The Rangers picked up two crucial points against the Red Wings on Sunday, and, from here on out, in a close playoff race, all the points you can come by are important. [Blueshirt Banter]

For the Rangers, a blue-collar effort is getting things done. [NY Post]

I think you guys know it takes something pretty serious for me to get some non-Rangers stuff into the morning notes. Last night in Dallas, the scene was very scary as Rich Peverley collapsed on the Stars bench after suffering a cardiac event. [SB Nation NHL] I worked for the Bruins all of last season, and all I have to say is Peverley is a true gentleman, and incredibly well liked by his teammates and everyone around the league. Want to extend our thoughts and prayers to him from everyone at the blog, and wish him a speedy recovery.