New York Rangers news: Cam Talbot to start Thursday against Minnesota

Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports

Having already defeated Minnesota this season, Cam Talbot will be the Rangers' starting goalie Thursday when they travel to take on the Wild.

For the second time since after the Olympic break, Cam Talbot will be starting in net for the Rangers, per Jim Cerny. The announcement came a day ahead of the road game that will be played in Minnesota, a move a bit uncharacteristic of Alain Vingeault.

For Talbot, it will be his 19th start of the season, and second against Minnesota, after Talbot defeated the Wild in New York in a 4-1 game, stopping 24 of 25 shots. With Lundqvist having played six of seven since the Olympic break, and the only goalie to play every second for his country in Sochi, finding opportunities to get Lundqvist rest will be paramount for Vigneault.

An interesting stat, and kind of a crucial date I like to point to when putting the Rangers season in context: Including that Dec. 12 win Talbot had over the Wild, the Rangers have gone 20-11-3.

In other lineup news, John Moore skated with Raphael Diaz at practice, while Kevin Klein was with Justin Faulk. Moore and Diaz were working in on the second power play unit. As Cerny indicated above, there's been no indication as to if there will be a defensive switch for Thursday's game against Minnesota.