New York Rangers Game Thread: Rangers Vs. Wild

Jim McIsaac

Rangers looking for some points on the road.

Hockey Wilderness (good folks over there!) | Rangers vs Wild coverage | New York Rangers schedule

The Minnesota Wild are coming off of a shootout loss to the Edmonton Oilers on Tuesday night and are 5-2-3 in their last ten games. The Wild have been riding rookie goaltender Darcy Kuemper with Josh Harding and Nicklas Backstrom out of the lineup. These two teams have met up only once before this season; on December 22nd the Rangers beat the Wild 4-1. The Wild haven't beaten the Rangers since March 3rd, 2011.

The Rangers must find a way to get points in their next two games even if they are coming in the next two nights. Cam Talbot will be getting the start tonight and Henrik Lundqvist will likely be getting the nod tomorrow against the Winnipeg Jets.

Eastern Standings

GP W-L-OT Pts
Pittsburgh Penguins 65 44-17-4 92
Boston Bruins 64 42-17-5 89
Toronto Maple Leafs 67 35-24-8 78
Montreal Canadiens 66 35-24-7 77
Tampa Bay Lightning 65 34-24-7 75
New York Rangers 66 35-27-4 74
Columbus Blue Jackets 65 34-26-5 73
Philadelphia Flyers 65 33-25-7 73
Detroit Red Wings 65 29-23-13 71
New Jersey Devils 66 29-24-13 71
Washington Capitals 67 30-27-10 70
Ottawa Senators 65 28-25-12 68
Carolina Hurricanes 65 28-28-9 65
New York Islanders 67 25-33-9 59
Florida Panthers 65 24-34-7 55
Buffalo Sabres 65 19-38-8 46

Mike's Player to Watch: Derek Stepan

The Rangers need Derek Stepan to continue playing the way we all know he can play. Hopefully playing in his home state will spark something in his game tonight. Stepan has 9 points in his last 7 games and had a six-game point scoring streak broken in the Rangers disappointing effort against the Hurricanes on Tuesday night. One can only hope that Stepan and the rest of the Rangers look sharper with Cam Talbot getting the nod tonight, sometimes the team plays a little tighter with the Prince in the cage.

Let's Go Rangers!