Rangers Vs. Sharks Preview: Rangers Seek Redemption on San Jose

Ed Szczepanski-USA TODAY Sports

The New York Rangers will return to Madison Square Garden this afternoon as they look to take revenge on the San Jose Sharks.

The last time the New York Rangers matched up against the San Jose Sharks, they were obliterated 9-2, which included four goals from Tomas Hertl. A lot has changed since then, as the Rangers finally adjusted under Alain Vigneault's system following that road trip, and turned into a competent hockey team. Over the last week or so they have went into a little funk, but are slowly starting to work their way out of it. On Friday night, the Rangers were able to snap a two game losing streak by defeating the Winnipeg Jets by a score of 4-2.

The game wasn't pretty by any means, but at this stage of the game, it really doesn't matter how you get the points, just as long as you get them. This afternoon's home game will be short lived as the Rangers will head right back on the road following the game. During that time, the Rangers will have two huge games against the New Jersey Devils, and Columbus Blue Jackets, two teams who are clawing at the Rangers in the standings.

But first, let's worry about the two points that are at stake this afternoon. Speaking of which, has anyone heard from Joe Thornton at all today?

San-jose-sharks VS.

San Jose Sharks (44-17-7) vs New York Rangers (36-28-4)
Madison Square Garden - New York, NY - 4t:00 PM
Television: MSG, CSN-CA Radio: ESPN NY 98.7 |
Opponent's Blog: Fear The Fin

Projected Lineup:

Chris Kreider - Derek Stepan - Rick Nash
Mats Zuccarello - Derick Brassard - Martin St. Louis
Benoit Pouliot - Brad Richards - Carl Hagelin
Brian Boyle - Dominic Moore - Daniel Carcillo

Ryan McDonagh - Dan Girardi
Marc Staal - Anton Stralman
John Moore - Kevin Klein

Henrik Lundqvist
Cam Talbot

Scratches/Injuries: Justin Falk (healthy), Derek Dorsett (healthy), Raphael Diaz (healthy).