Rick Nash on returning to Columbus; Pouliot misses practice; Sather's pedigree

Today's New York Rangers notes.

Don't think I need to get into it all too much to explain the importance of tonight's game. No matter how they can muster them, the Rangers need be earning consistent points. And against Friday's opponent, a team breathing down their neck, the Rangers desperation level needs to be a bit hire. Here are your morning notes.

For the first time since he was traded to New York, Rick Nash will return to Columbus to face his old team in the Blue

Jackets. He provided some thoughts on what the night might be like. [ESPN NY] [Rangers Rants] [Newsday] [Daily News]

Benoit Pouliot returned to New York as his wife gave birth on Wednesday. He did not take part in Thursday's practice, but is supposed to be in Friday's lineup. If he can't go, Alain Vigneault has already said Derek Dorsett will take his place on the third line. [Newsday]

The leading candidate to become the next Rangers captain sans Ryan Callahan? Well that's Ryan McDonagh, according to Nash. [Columbus Dispatch]

That Martin St. Louis guy the Rangers traded for? Yeah, he'll be fine. [Blueshirt Banter]

Even after getting two points in their last game against the Senators, it will be tough for the Rangers to built off such an ugly win. [NY Post]

Nonetheless, a win is a win, and Henrik Lundqvist knows that as the Rangers enter the stretch run. [NY Post]

James Dolan's endorsement of Glen Sather might have caught some by surprise, but the praise is easy to figure out when recalling trades like McDonagh's. [NY Post]