Rangers take two weekend games; Lundqvist sets shutout record; A motivated Rick Nash

Today's New York Rangers notes.

Three Stars of the Weekend

Number three: Derick Brassard Big, late game-winner against his old running mates in Columbus, and a crucial goal against a divisional opponent to secure two points.

Number two: Rick Nash An energized, motivated Nash is the best kind of Nash. When his motor is going, he's hard on pucks, more physical, and a north-south player. After an emotional game Friday night in Columbus, Nash followed up with a goal on Saturday against the Devils.

Number one: Henrik Lundqvist In the two games the Rangers played this weekend, Lundqvist allowed one goal, and stopped a combined 46 of 47 shots. In Lundqvist's last 23 games? He's held opponents to two goals or fewer in 16 of those, and is 16-6-1 with a 1.96 goals against, and a .953 save percentage (ht/ Sean Rotham).

What You Missed

Jaromir Jagr has still got it, but unfortunately for the future Hall of Famer, so does Lundqvist.

Playing the second game in two nights, the Rangers shut the door on the Devils, picking up another big two points during the playoff push. [Blueshirt Banter] [NY Post] [ESPN NY] [Daily News] [The Record]

And in picking up the win, Lundqvist recorded his 50th career shutout, setting another Rangers record. [ESPN NY] [Newsday]

In possibly the last goalie duel of their NHL careers, Lundqvist extended his dominance over Martin Brodeur. [NY Post]

With John Moore out, Rafael Diaz finally got a chance to make his Rangers debut, and he impressed. [NY Post] [Blueshirts Blog] [Newsday] Also, Moore is reportedly suffering concussion symptoms, and a timetable for his return is unknown.

A lot of people on this blog always talking about needing to add toughness, when really, conceptually, a lot of people just want the Rangers to be a tough team to play against. But that's exactly the kind of team we saw out of the Rangers this weekend, especially in an emotional, but Metro victory in Columbus. Some recaps. [Blueshirt Banter] [NY Post] [Daily News] [The Record] [Newsday]

And speaking of that game against the Blue Jackets, boy was Nash ever fired up. [Blueshirt Banter]

Controlling rebounds and pressuring puck carriers, two things this Rangers team does well, is normally a good formula for playoff success. [Newsday]

With the Rangers in the middle of a three-game winning streak, Alain Vigneault warned his team not to underestimate its next opponent, the Phoenix Coyotes. [Daily News]

Despite some reports it may be coming sooner, Glen Sather says he has no imminent retirement planned. [NY Post]