Chris Kreider Could Miss a Month With Hand Injury

Maddie Meyer

It looks like Kreider may have broken his hand.

We have some devastating news for the Rangers' playoff hopes. According to TSN's Bob McKenzie, Rangers rookie forward Chris Kreider could miss a month of hockey due to a hand injury that could be a broken hand. Kreider had just three shifts in the third period of Monday night's overtime victory over the Phoenix Coyotes. Kreider has 17 goals in 66 games this season and has been one of the Rangers most valuable offensive threats this season.

McKenzie's tweet that broke the news was taken down but Steve Zipay tweeted the following just moments ago:

Losing Kreider is a devastating loss for the Rangers playoff hopes, but there are a few interesting options in-house to replace one of the team's leading scorers. This could mean we will be getting a more prolonged look at J.T. Miller or perhaps even our first look at Ryan Haggerty.

Before we all start panicking it is important to remember a few things:

  • There is no official word on why Kreider won't be playing against Philadelphia. He might not even be injured.
  • If Kreider is injured, we can't be sure of the one month time table.
  • Teams play injuries like this, this close to the playoffs, very close to the vest. So, we might not learn much detail about why Kreider left last night's game or the severity of his injury (if he has one).
  • Not having Kreider in the lineup for tomorrow's game is a pretty devastating loss in and of itself.

We'll be sure to keep you guys posted as updates become available.

Let's go Rangers.