Rangers drop pair of weekend games; Girardi re-signs; Callahan's future uncertain

Paul Bereswill

Today's New York Rangers notes.

Three Stars of the Weekend

Number three: Ryan McDonagh He was first greeted by the news his defensive partner would be staying on the blue line with him for another half-decade plus, and then responded by scoring a goal, and recording eight shots on goals and eight blocked shots in two games combined.

Number two: Brad Richards He posted a point in each of the Rangers' weekend games (an assist and goal respectively) and created consistent offensive chances in both contests.

Number one: J.T. Miller If the 20-year-old forward is proving anything in Mats Zuccarello's absence, it's that he's ready to play at the top level. While Miller made a few mistakes, his offensive tenacity and nose for the net were on full display all weekend, as you'll see below.

What You Missed

Whether his place in the lineup is right now, or in a few weeks, or next season, J.T. Miller is ready to play in the NHL, and contribute.

After lengthy negotiations, Dan Girardi and the Rangers agreed on a six year, $33 million deal, keeping him alongside McDonagh and a key part of the Rangers defense for the next number of years. [Blueshirt Banter] [NY Post] [ESPN NY] [The Record] [Daily News] [Newsday]

The Rangers jumped out to an early 1-0 edge, but defensive zone lapses and a strong performance by the Bruins led to a Sunday night loss. Some recaps. [NY Post] [ESPN NY] [Daily News] [The Record] [Newsday] [Bueshirts United]

With Girardi striking a six year extension, indicating the team's willingness to give out that term length, it's now up to Ryan Callahan to re-sign in New York, writes Larry Brooks. [NY Post]

While his future in New York was very uncertain the past few weeks leading up to the trade deadline, Girardi is happy to be in New York for the long haul. [ESPN NY] [NY Post] [Rangers Rants]

On the road, against a divisional rival, the Rangers fought out of a two-goal hole, but were unable to complete the comeback against the Flyers. [NY Post] [ESPN NY] [The Record] [Daily News] [Newsday]