Rangers split weekend games; St. Louis on his slump; Kreider out; Moore for Masterson

Sergei Belski-USA TODAY Sports

Today's New York Rangers notes.

Three Stars of the Weekend

Number three: Cam Talbot A 26-save shutout (his third of the season) ensured the Rangers got back to winning, and gave Henrik Lundqvist some much needed rest in the process.

Number two: Rick Nash Two goals against Edmonton on Sunday, included one shorthanded, helped pace the Rangers offense. Nash has seemed like a completely different player since visiting his old team the Blue Jackets.

Number one: Mats Zuccarello After going 18 games without a goal, Zuccarello netted two on Sunday, including one you'll see below.

What You Missed

Derek Stepan and Zuccarello combine for the Rangers last goal against the Oilers, and their second shorthanded tally of the night.

In the thick of a playoff race, the Rangers did what they needed to against a bad Oilers team: take care of business. Strong games from Nash, Talbot, Stepan, and Mats Zuccarello led the way. Here are some recaps. [Blueshirt Banter] [Daily News] [The Record] [Newsday] [Blueshirts United]

The Bill Masterson trophy is awarded annually to the player who best exemplifies perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to the game of hockey. So it should come as no surprise that Dominic Moore was nominated this year for the honor. [Blueshirt Banter] [ESPN NY] [Blueshirts Blog] [Rangers Rants] [Newsday]

Martin St. Louis still isn't scoring, but isn't getting down on himself. [Blueshirts Blog] [Rangers Rants] [NY Post] [Newsday]

If you missed the news, Chris Kreider had surgery on his broken hand, a procedure that could likely mean his season is over. [Blueshirt Banter] [NY Post] [Blueshirts Blog] [Newsday]

And with Kreider sidelined, is this finally the opportunity J.T. Miller has been waiting for? [Blueshirt Banter]

Once a newfound point of strength this season, the Rangers power play is again struggling. [NY Post]

It took the Rangers 20 minutes to find their footing on Friday, and despite scoring three straight in the third to take the lead, the Blueshirts saw their five game win streak come to an end against the Flames. [NY Post] [Daily News] [The Record] [Newsday]