New York Rangers news: Vermont free agent forward Chris McCarthy inks deal

Matt Dewkett (mrd-photos.com)

The Rangers signed another undrafted college prospect, their second such transaction this season.

The Rangers made another move in free agency today, as the team signed Vermont forward Chris McCarthy. The Catamount were eliminated this past weekend in the NCAA East regional by Union College.

McCarthy is 22-years-old, and spent five years at Vermont after red-shirting his junior season due to injury. Prior to that, he participated on the 2008-2009 National Team Development Program that's based in Ann Arbor. As a collegiate, McCarthy 46 goals and 68 assists in 150 games.

The captain of Vermont's team this season, McCarthy is a steady two-way player who can be effective at either end of the ice. His production saw a steady increase over his four full seasons, and his 18 goals and 24 assists this year were both career highs.

New York Rangers Sign Vermont's Chris McCarthy

New York Rangers Sign Vermont's Chris McCarthy

"For our senior class, I was just happy to get back to [the NCAA Tournament] and enjoy it," said McCarthy after his Catamounts were bounced on Friday, despite him scoring two goals.

McCarthy is a player who can win puck battles, and although he's not overly big, employs a power forward style of game, and is very good around the net. His improvement in the both years after his injury is encouraging, and his ability to maintain puck possession could translate well at the next level.