Ryan Callahan comes down on term length; Rangers' depth at center

Martin Rose

Today's New York Rangers notes.

These are tense moments in Rangers land. Monday consisted of a lot of Twitter timeline checking. Tuesday may be very similar, and if nothing happens, then Wednesday up until 3 p.m. could provide more anxious moments. In the meantime, we wait, and give you some brief morning notes.

In what can be characterized as one of the first developments in his contract talks in a while, Ryan Callahan would reportedly accept a six-year offer from the Rangers. Previously, it had been reported Callahan was seeking a seven-year deal. [ESPN NY] [Newsday]

It was another day of waiting and watching, and while Callahan remains a Ranger, there's no telling if he's played his last game for New York. [NY Post]

A look at the Rangers depth down the middle. [Blueshirt Banter]

Minnesota Gophers defenseman Brady Skjei is one of the top NHL prospects in all of college hockey. [SBN College Hockey]

Notes are a little thinner today, so just wanted to throw in a few general thoughts:

  • The story has been all along that Glen Sather would ultimately make a decision on Callahan before the trade deadline, not wanting to get past that juncture if he was unable to re-sign the 28-year-old captain before that. But if the Rangers and Callahan are coming closer to a deal, does that change the trade deadline ultimatum date?
  • We'll discuss it more in a few weeks, but every game J.T. Miller plays well presents the Rangers with a big dilemma. Mats Zuccarello will undoubtedly play when he is healthy. Alain Vigneault, unlike John Tortorella, has established consistent lines, and Zuccarello has flourished alongside Derick Brassard and Benoit Pouliot. So, with four players for three spots, what will Vigneault do? Again, the equation might be changed by Wednesday afternoon.
  • I'm surprised Cam Talbot's name hasn't come up in any trade rumors. Don't get me wrong, Talbot is going absolutely nowhere, but given his success, his contract status, and the tendency for really illogical, unfounded rumors to pop up leading up to the deadline, I expected to hear Talbot's name at least once.
  • Whatever the Rangers do at the deadline will be making much more of a statement about their future than the '13-'14 season. With the pipeline full of prospects like Miller, Jesper Fast, Oscar Lindberg, Danny Kristo, and Anthony Duclair, this is a team that's ready to turn over pretty soon, if that's the decision.
  • The prospect of Ryan Kesler being traded to the Penguins should make you cower in fear.
SB Nation Featured Video